I think my system is in a little bit of shock with the cold, snowy weather we've had the last few days. I head to Phoenix this weekend and can't wait to get there - the weather is in the 90's! Until then, I can't help but crave hearty meals to warm me up. Today I'm sharing an Italian Beef, Quinoa & Kale Skillet we are enjoying this week for dinner.
It's made (almost) in one pot - you'll simply need to steam the quinoa while you get everything else going on the stove. This dish combines a protein, veggies, and a grain together so by the time you're done cooking you'll have a well balanced meal.
Earthy mushrooms and hearty kale are simmered with grass-fed ground beef in a simple tomato sauce. The quinoa is steamed separately and stirred in towards the end of cooking to allow the flavors to come together.
Not only is this meal filling and delicious, but I love the health benefits you'll get from these nourishing foods, too. Mushrooms and kale are two power veggies, loaded with beneficial nutrients, antioxidants and fiber. I prefer grass-fed beef because not only is the flavor outstanding but so is the nutrition. Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene which supports heart and has been studied in cancer research.
Stay warm this week and I hope you enjoy this one!
Italian Beef, Quinoa & Kale Skillet
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
½ cup dry quinoa
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
½ lb ground turkey
½ onion, diced
1-8oz box mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
2 pinches crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
Optional: chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
1. Begin by getting the quinoa started. Cook according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the oil, ground beef and turkey. Brown for 5 minutes, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the diced onion, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
4. Add the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine.
5. Add the crushed tomatoes and kale. Stir to combine. Reduce to medium heat.
6. Once the quinoa is cooked, add directly to the skillet. Stir and then cover letting simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, garnish with optional chopped basil or parsley.
Did you try this recipe? Comment below and let me know you liked it! You can also tag your creations on Instagram @wellfednutrition.